Peter Gabriel's engineer, Richard 'Dickie' Chappell, explains the thinking behind the 'So DNA' disc included in the Anniversary edition box set. Watch the video…
Watch Peter’s October Full Moon Club video
Peter's Full Moon message for October, 2012. more…
Forums » Music » Shaking the Tree - different versions and mixes
Cimber14 October 2009 at 8:54pmPosts: 2571 (0 today)Status: offline
"Shaking the Tree" with Youssou N`Dour is a special song, written for womens` rights in Africa and actually all over the world.
The clip is wonderful and the song itself was one of the main attractions of Peter`s "Secret World Tour" in 1993/94 together with the phone cell for "Come Talk To Me" and of course the unforgettable and stunning performance for "Across the River". I remember Peter playing the drums on the 2nd part of the song.
here is a list showing the different versions/mixes:
- 1. original version (1989) from Youssou`s album "The Lion" (also the original video-mix - NOT the "PLAY"-DVD-version)
- 2. Peter`s new recording for "Shaking the Tree - 16 golden Greats" (1990)
- 3. David Botrill-mix (1993) on the "Kiss That Frog"-single CD (David Botrill = former Real World engineer, check out the "Us"-booklet).
- 4. "Shaking the Tree `97" from the "Jungle to Jungle"-soundtrack with Tim Allen (the song can be heard in the movie). This version also features a rap by "Mr. Boombastic" Shaggy and also an additional verse by Peter.
- 5. The live-versions from the "Secret World-Tour" (`93/`94) with Joy Askew doing the female vocals on the 1st leg of the tour and Paula Cole for the rest of the tour.
- 6. Peter and Youssou - live performance from Amnesty in Paris 1998
- also a longer an extended mix from 1989 (on youtube) and a version on the "Wild Thornberries"-soundtrack from 2002 together with "Animal Nation".
Cimber14 October 2009 at 8:56pmPosts: 2571 (0 today)Status: offline
. . .and a new video-mix on the "PLAY-DVD".
. . .Shaking all arouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuund !
Duddy14 October 2009 at 10:39pmPosts: 5641 (0 today)Status: offline
Nice one Cimber.
I like some of the different vids too, so upbeat, especially the one of PG in black with Youssou, dancing on some kind of rug.
'Maybe he's looking for his womanly side'!
MAK in the USA15 October 2009 at 10:49pmPosts: 3644 (1 today)Status: offline
DolceVita17 October 2009 at 4:07pmPosts: 2321 (0 today)Status: offline
Thanks for precious informations Cimber,i did not know all of this versions,wow!
Thanks MAK,i love this song too,and the last video you post for us,i love Peter and Youssou N'Dour dance together with serenity.
I love the way they "speak" a difficult subject with this song: not with sadness but with rhythm,with dance,with a smile. . . . wonderful !
Mr Beef21 October 2009 at 9:21amPosts: 761 (0 today)Status: offline
I've just realised that I have another version of Shaking The Tree - it's the second track on the Solsbury Hill CD single* that was released in 1990, around the same time as 16 Golden Greats. It sounds pretty similar, but comes in at 5.08 rather than the Golden Greats version of 6.25. . .
*The CD single has 3 tracks, with the third being a live Games Without Frontiers from the POV video. The cover is divided into four horizontal coloured bars. Is this a rariry?